Our Social Ministry Committee follows the teaching of Jesus from the book of Matthew, “in as much as you do to the least of my brethren, you do for me.” All year we focus on the needs of people locally and globally. We spiritually support members in our congregation and in the surrounding world.
Some examples of our ministry are:
- Year-round giving to the food pantry of Lutheran Social Services of New York’s New Life Center Food Pantry in Uniondale, in addition to special seasonal donations of Thanksgiving staples and Easter treats.
- We’ve bought piggies and sheep in memory of our loved ones through the ELCA’s Good Gifts program, giving families in developing countries a sustainable sources of income.
- In February we’ve shared the LOVE with seafarers, sending tins full of cookies, baked by our members, to Seafarer’s International House, a Lutheran ministry in New York City.
- Each year we go “Back to School” and in the month of August donate school supplies and backpacks for children in our community.
- Our summer Super ROLL Series pits Yankees fans against Mets fans to see who can donate the most rolls of toilet paper to our local pantries.
- We’ve adopted kindergarten classes, raised money to end malaria, and supported our local Boys and Girls Club–the opportunities to give back are many at St. Stephen’s!
We are thankful to God for the generous and concerned members of St. Stephen’s who faithfully support our efforts to meet the needs of our brothers and sisters in Christ.